Share with others

02 March 2012

61/365

to my friends in northern climes- please stop reading now if it will jeopardize our relationship, but know, you are welcome to visit ANY TIME...

Oh March of my dreams, how I have missed you!!
For all those years while living in the frigid icebox of winter known as the Midwest, I would think, "March! MARCH!! Spring! Blooms! Buds! Warmth!"
And alas. Every, single, year I would be faced with a disappointment so deep it would ache in my bones. (or maybe that was because of the outside temperatures and my refusal to wear a turtleneck or heavy sweater one, more, day...)

March was the longest, loneliest month in my calendar, I believe. If I had a say in the change of seasons, March, April, and May would be Spring. (check back with me here in May, when south Texas begins to take on the feel of a blast furnace...) Come March in the northern states, the grass is yet prickly and gray green. And the trees remains skeletal and bare. The remaining snow lays in lonely piles, shrinking yet grimy and polluted. March in the north, it brings no satisfaction.

What a difference 1152 miles can make! Today down here at the very tip of Texas, I wore shorts and flip flops. My grass is more green than I've seen it in 10 months (though I dare not go barefoot- too many stickers for that!). I drove with the windows down, and reluctantly turned on the air conditioning in my house. Even in this place of perpetual green, I can discern a difference, brighter and newer shades, fresh and vivid, on the trees. Driving through town, I see trees in bloom, and bushes flowering. This, THIS is spring!

Yes, I know that it's a give and take. In just a couple short months (then I look at the forecast- tomorrow?), the air will be hot and the sun yet again intense, and I'll long for a trip up north, to sit under a real shade tree and run my toes through soft grass and wait for the first lightning bugs of summer to appear. But today, I rejoice! Hurrah for March 1st!

No comments: