Share with others

14 December 2017

346/365

DPP12-

(I heard today that bougainvilleas bloom brightest when under stress. I want to remember that...)

I have been known to say to my children, "life is not a crisis." Well, at least it shouldn't be.

As we go through the days, even from hour to hour, sometimes it does seem as the challenges outnumber the victories. I agree that it can be easy, if not just terribly tempting, to be overwhelmed by the "what if's." Certainly, there is not a one of us, least of all me, that has a perfect record in staying calm, in finding logic, in simply doing the next thing well, moment after moment, day after day.

When I heard that the bougainvillea blooms brightest when under stress, I started to think. Is this true? I looked it up. And sure enough, in several places I found, verbatim, "Bougainvilleas do best under stress." They prefer heat. They tolerate drought and do fine without water for extended periods of time. They grow best in a container, where the plant can become root bound. Really, all those qualities defy good growing rules. And yet, look at the bright blooms!

If forced to live in the plant world, I'd choose to be the bougainvillea. I want to flower in the most surprising conditions.


No comments: