Share with others

21 January 2018

17/365

I huddled in my room all the morning, heater at my feet. Well, every once in a while I might think, "Maybe it's warm enough now," and I'd turn off the heater. A few minutes later, I would turn it back on. I filled up my water bottle with hot tea, and sipped on it, mostly to hold the hot mug and warm my hands, all morning. It came midday, and I ventured out of the room.

Just a few steps in my sock feet, I stepped into water. Really Cold Water. Surprise! Water hugged the edges of the walls. Water pooled at the doorway to my living room. Water soaked a good bit of the rug in the center of the room. Water pretty much filled the front of the house.

That can't be good.

I put on shoes and my husband came home to play detective with me. We couldn't find the source of the water so we went to the school rooms next door. Water met us at the door there, too. But we quickly figured out the headwaters of today's springs- a busted hose on the bathroom sink. He turned off the water and stopped the fountain and stemmed the deluge. Thankfully, we have a couple of guys who could clean up that side, so it was back to my own home.

We dragged out the dripping rug and hung it up outside, though it won't dry for a few days. My guy went back to work. I got to work. I pulled out the mop and the bucket and turned on the TV for noise and started swabbing the floor. I listened to a panel of ladies dish on the virtues and woes of outing cheating husbands on social media. I heard the familiar voice of CJ from the West Wing, now the dysfunctional movie mom of Tonya Harding, tell about waiting for award nominations. "Coming tomorrow... 50 Cent!" I'm not usually known to be a daytime TV watcher. I'm not missing much.

By the time the pools recessed, I had mopped up a full 3 gallon bucket of water. I emptied it out and filled the bucket one more time to go over the floor again with hot water and Pine Sol. Then I included the rest of the house for good measure. I mean, once the mop is out, ya might as well finish it all, right? That finished, I heated up another thermos of tea and went back to my room. And turned the heater back on my feet. I just might stay in until spring arrives.

No comments: