Share with others

22 March 2008

March Madness- First Round

You probably wouldn't describe our family as big sports fans. We don't really have favorite teams. There's no color that dominates our wardrobe or interior design. But, I did grow up following college basketball. Throughout my growing up, my family had season tickets to watch the University of New Mexico Lobos, in the Pit, one of the greatest college basketball venues. You've probably seen it- that's where NC State coach Jim Valvano runs around crazy, looking for someone, ANYone to hug, after his Wolfpack won the National Championship in 1983. My kids have known the response to "Everyone's a Lobo..." is "...Woof, Woof, Woof" since they could speak.

Tim and I follow the NCAA tournament every year. (shameless confession- I adore One Shining Moment; I get teary when the underdog just barely loses, like Belmont v. Duke on Thursday...) And, we've started dragging the kids into it, too. Tim fills his bracket out in about one minute- guess he goes with his gut. I spend about 15 minutes, looking at RPI and Power ratings, and if there's a draw, I go with who I like. K choose by colors and mascots. No one can understand J's logic... :-) But, by Thursday night, we all had our brackets filled, and entered in the ESPN Tournament Challenge. We are all hopeful.

And then comes Thursday, and Friday, and the games. J revels that the rest of us choose USC, and KSU wins. Drake! Drake! I had such great hopes for you. I'm talkin' Final Four, Drake! And then came the overtime buzzer shot from Western Kentucky (see the video, at about 1:10 on...). sigh... And Gonzaga! The 'Zags. Lost to Stephen Curry, oops, I mean Davidson. My bracket is a mess. But, still, we're having fun!

Watch out on the trash talk, though, kid! :-)

No comments: