Share with others

07 May 2008

Thirty One-derful

A moment of silence this morning for the co-founder of "the world's best ice cream empire," Irvine Robbins. In 1946, Robbins and his brother in law, Burton Baskin, opened an ice cream store in Glendale, California. They had 31 flavors, one for each day of the month.

I am admitedly partial to Baskin-Robbins because it was the site of my first "real" (according to the Internal Revenue Service, anyway) job. I worked at the 31 Flavors across the street from my high school. When I started in 1983, the minimum wage in New Mexico was $3.35. But, I'm pretty sure that I started at $2.65 an hour, with the potential of a 15 cent bonus per hour if we didn't waste too much ice cream. One of the major benefits of working at Baskin-Robbins was that we were allowed two scoops for each 4 hour shift we worked. That went in step with Robbins philosophy to encourage "his employees to eat as much ice cream as they wanted. That way, he figured they wouldn't have to steal it."

I have often been asked if I ever got tired of ice cream. Nope. Never. Not once. Yes, there were sticky summer evening shifts when we would hardly look up from scooping for hours. We'd be covered with ice cream from head to toe. Our brown corduroy pants (bought at the Gap when that's where you went to find a wall full of corduroy pants...) would have hot fudge and marshmellow cream and caramel down the legs. But, we were working with good friends, and not very many folks are grumpy when they are buying an ice cream cone.

My favorite flavors? Chocolate Mousse Royale. World Class Chocolate. Lime sherbet. And, Irvine Robbins' favorite, Jamoca Almond Fudge. But other flavors stand out, too. I hated scooping Chocolate Peanut Butter and Rocky Road- too easy to break the cone. When we were growing up, we'd walk to a 31 Flavors near my aunt and uncle's house, and my cousin Sherry would always order Daiquiri Ice or Grape Ice. My sister's favorite was Mint Chocolate Chip. Sometimes we would all get Pink Bubblegum, and we would each spit the gum into our own cup to save to chomp on later. The only flavor I haven't enjoyed? Peanut Butter and Jelly. I don't really like PB&J sandwiches either.

Thanks, Mr. Robbins, for good ice cream and good memories!
(picture and quote credits to The Seattle P-I, May 6, 2008)

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish we had a Baskin-Robbins here. They have pretty good ice cream I have to say. But Ted & Wallys is pretty good too.
:-)

Anonymous said...

By the way, my favorite flavor is probably Chocolate Fudge.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is Pink bubblegum.
s.

Anonymous said...

My favorite is mint chocolate chip.
signed, l.

Anonymous said...

I've only had it at Baskin-Robbins once, but my favorite flavor is Rocky Road.
j.

Anonymous said...

mint chip.
su.

C and J said...

Ahh, I love the generational favorites! Mint chocolate chip on the bottom, rocky road on the top of a sugar cone...
In college at UNM, I think I survived during my sophomore year for the treat of having that double dip on Friday afternoon! That was a great TGIF for me! Every town and city should have a B-R! I share in your mourning and celebration!

norsk said...

Do they have pistachio icecream with chocolate shavings? That is my favorite Norwegian ice cream. Yummy!

sperlonga said...

In college my roommate and I would call Dennis to take us to Baskin-Robbins. He jumped at the chance to do something for girls! We knew we could always count on him! My favorite flavor was/is Pralines and Cream!