Share with others

08 July 2008

My hope

Psalm 130
Hope in the Lord's Forgiving Love

Out of the depths I have cried to Thee, O Lord.
Lord, hear my voice!
Let Thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.
If Thou, Lord, shouldst mark iniquities, O Lord, who could stand?
But there is forgiveness with Thee, that Thou mayest be feared.

I wait for the Lord, my soul does wait, and in His word do I hope.
My soul waits for the Lord, more than the watchmen for the morning;
Indeed, more than the watchmen for the morning.
O Israel, hope in the Lord;
For with the Lord there is lovingkindness, and with Him is abundant redemption.
And He will redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

from Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Bible:
"It is our unspeakable comfort that there is forgiveness with him, for that is what we need. Jesus Christ is the great Ransom; he is ever an Advocate for us, and through him we hope to obtain forgiveness. There is forgiveness with thee, not that thou mayest be presumed upon, but that thou mayest be feared. The fear of God often is put for the whole worship of God. The only motive and encouragement for sinners is this, that there is forgiveness with the
Lord."
"All that wait on God for mercy and grace are sure to have peace."

Like the psalmist, my soul waits.

1 comment:

sperlonga said...

And I have such a difficult time WAITING. What does that mean? "More than watchmen wait for the morning"? Ah, I need to slow down and learn to wait. "They that wait on the Lord shall renew...." Thanks for all your reminders. :)