Share with others

11 March 2011

bits

already the weekend again?  Friday night, and I only think in bits...

*we came home from school today and watched news video of the devastation in Japan.  It takes my breath away.  The immensity of the tsunami engulfing everything in its path is really more than I can conceive. It looks like special effects from a diaster movie, and yet, it is so very real and so very big.  And we are all so very small.

For direction in how to pray, here's specific requests from MTW-
•Praise for the safety of all MTW missionaries
•Love and comfort for grieving families
•Rescue for those who may be trapped
•Safety from aftershocks, which have been quite large
•Shelter for those whose homes are destroyed
•Wisdom and clarity for MTW regarding our response
•Restoration of power and communications

Most of all, however, pray this will be an open door for the gospel, that missionaries and national believers will be able to show the love of Christ to those around them. Relationships are critical in Japanese culture, so pray this crisis opens new doors that could make many more relationships possible.

** Last week I was delighted when (in)Courage published a piece written by a dear friend of mine.  She writes straight from the depths of her heart, and the honesty of those words serve to challenge and to encourage me.  She and I are in very different places, in location, in stages of life, and yet, I understand so much of what she writes.  Yes- take heart.  He is calling you. You will be blessed by reading it, too.

***  I used to think that God's gifts were on shelves one above the other, an that the taller we grew in Christian character the easier we shoul reach them. I find now that God's gifts are on shelves one beneath the other, and that it is not a question of growing taller, but of stooping lower, and that we have to go down, always down, to get His best gifts.
FB Meyer, quoted by GBF Hallock, "The Cultivation of Humility," Herald and Presbyter 90, via One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp 
I am at a place of language learning that is more challenging that I ever anticipated.  In my life, I've never been the top student in the class, but I've never been the bottom.  Until now.  And yet, somehow at the bottom of that pile, I am reminded that perhaps humility is an even harder lesson to learn than language. More clearly than ever, I see that I bring nothing, but cling tightly to the hope that, there on my knees, the Giver of all good things will continue to hear, and even to answer, my cry.

**** One of my oldest and most dear friends in the entire world, her husband and her son have been in the country for the last couple of weeks, and although most of the time has been spent traveling, the time that they have spent with us has been precious to me.  What a gift for me, that time spent together.  And, to giggle as well as we did when we were in college. (ok, and that they are leaving us all of their delicious American snack food!)

***** My kids received good report cards today, my husband made delicious pizza for dinner, and tomorrow is Saturday! And for all that, and more, tonight I am thankful.

(photo credit: traditional Japanese Kokeshi doll by FurugiStar on etsy)

No comments: