Share with others

24 January 2012

Clementine

I have had not so good of a week.
     Well, Monday was a pretty good day, if you don't count Hamburger Surprise at lunch and Margaret's mother coming to get her. Or the stuff that happened in the principal's office when I got sent there to explain that Margaret's hair was not my fault and besides she looks okay without it, but I couldn't because Principal Rice was gone, trying to calm down Margaret's mother.
     Someone should tell you not to answer the phone in the principal's office, if that's a rule.
     Okay, fine, Monday was not so good of a day.

Confession: I love Clementine!
I saw Clementine at the bookstore recently, and then checked it out at the library today.
Think of Ramona, and Eloise, and Olivia.
Clementine deservedly joins those memorable characters in the ranks of spunky fictional girls who will cause you to laugh out loud!

Second and third grade girls are probably the author's target audience. As Clementine would say, Okay, fine. But, I promise, it is a quick and fun read for adults, especially for this girl who tends to get stuck in non-fiction. I read chapter one out loud to my husband, and though maybe he was just amusing me, he laughed too. Now my girls are all taking turns with Clementine.

"The clementine," said the waiter, "is the sweetest fruit, is it not?
We certainly think so!

1 comment:

Janet said...

I remember as a child loving everything written by Beverly Cleary. In fact, once I felt like I was "too old" I would read them in secret so none of my friends would know. I would read and re-read them. Great joy for a child! I bet Clementine brings the same joy. I need to check it out.