Share with others

12 August 2008

Leave it

"Arise, cry aloud in the night at the beginning of the night watches;
Pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord;
Lift up your hands to Him."
Lamentations 2:19

from Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Bible:
"Prayer is a salve for every sore, even the sorest, a remedy for every malady, even the most griveous. Our business in prayer is to refer our case to the Lord, and leave it with Him. His will be done."

I love the picture that forms from this verse, of crying aloud in the night, pouring out prayer like water, lifting up my hands to Him. And then Henry reminds, I am not to offer solutions. I am not to go out on my own. Mine is to "leave it with Him."

And our promise comes just a chapter later, in Lamentations 3:25-26:
"The Lord is good to those who wait for Him, to the person who seks Him. It is good that he waits silently for the salvation of the Lord."

Your will be done, O Lord.

No comments: