Share with others

25 August 2008

Peace Like a River

Just finished Peace Like a River by Leif Enger. What an entrancing story!

To tease...

"Let me say something about that word: miracle. For too long it's been used to characterize things or events that, though pleasant, are entirely normal. Peeping chicks at Easter time, spring generally, a clear sunrise after an overcast week- a miracle, people say, as if they've been educated from greeting cards. I'm sorry, but nope. Such things are worth our notice every day of the week, but to call them miracles evaporates the strength of the word.

Real miracles bother people, like strange sudden pains unknown in medical literature. It's true: They rebut every rule all we good citizens take comfort in. Lazarus obeying orders and climbing up out of the grave- now there's a real miracle, and you can bet it upset a lot of folks who were standing around at the time. When a person dies, the earth is generally unwilling to cough him back up. A miracle contradicts the will of earth.

My sister, Swede, who often sees to the nub, offered this: People fear miracles because they fear being changed- though ignoring them will change you also. Swede said another thing, too, and it rang in me like a bell: No miracle happens without a witness. Someone to declare, Here's what I saw. Here's how it went. Make of it what you will."

2 comments:

GoneAwayDays said...

Hey K! I loved this book as well! What a wonderful writer! I am so glad that you liked it as well. I recommended it to several family members and they absolutely hated it. Thanks for restoring my faith in what I think is a good book!! Thank you also for letting my kids come down the other day and do the magnet science with you guys! They had a blast, and I really appreciated the worksheets!! Thanks you also so very much for buying them those fun drinks the other day when Lucy and Maddie were with you! Grant was absolutely thrilled!!! I just feel like I have so much to say "thanks" for, and I wanted to let you know I'm enjoying your family blog as well!!

K said...

Hey neighbor!
Why'd they not like the book?
Our pleasure and my privilege to be with your family! We'll have to join you for a bike ride or nature field trip one day soon!
Blessings!