Share with others

23 May 2009

Wilmington, NC

(otherwise known as "the post in which she does not gush about her grandson...")

I've been away this week, away from life with teens and pre-teens and sports and all that, to Babydom, Wilmington, North Carolina, home of our 1st grandbaby. Of course, the true purpose of the trip is to simply hang out with the A family. But, we did get in a few of the sights of Wilmington too.

We strolled the downtown area. The Pride of Baltimore was docked for the Memorial Day weekend. That's appropriate, because when I think "tall ships," I think Baltimore.


I took a picture of this building because it appealed to me. No other reason.

Wilmington has an on-going pedestrian art exhibition. The latest sculptures are really fun- guys created of driftwood, found in various places here and there.

There are some neat shopping areas, including an old warehouse with surprising courtyards and resting places.

A took me to a couple tasty local spots, like Port City Java (mmmm... goooood fresh brewed tea with REALLY good ice...) and Front Street Brewery (that was serving their spring brew for $1.99- too good to pass up...).

AND, we made it to the beach! I miss the beach! I love to jump through the waves, lay in the sun, watch people. If not for the pesky sand, the beach would be perfect... :-)

I'd say that Wilmington would be worth a trip even if you did not have an absolutely perfect little guy to visit there.

2 comments:

sperlonga said...

I love those old brick buildings with the names of the original owners or shops set in stone in front. (Or even in the tiles on the entryway.)
I wonder if anyone has gone around Omaha and photographed some of them?

sperlonga said...

Oh, and hurrah for the beach! Did you take photos?