Share with others

10 July 2009

Friday Five

Catching up on the week... a Friday Five.

1. I saw The Soloist yesterday. The Soloist tells the story of a schizophrenic homeless musician on the streets of Los Angeles and his relationship with the LA Times reporter that befriends him. I know a schizophrenic homeless musician, and as such, so much of this movie rang true for me. It's not a perfect film, but it would be a great platform for discussion around issues of mercy ministry; what is help, how do we help preserve human dignity even in the most base of environments, how do we effectively share the hope of the Gospel with those that can barely reason... It comes out on video in early August.

2. "There are only two chairs in the room—the chair of faith and the chair of unbelief. The double-minded person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord (see James). I made up my mind that henceforth in my perplexity, I will be perplexed from the chair of faith and not the chair of skepticism." Just one gem from this column by Andree Seau over at World magazine.

3. My two-oldest-at-home kids started their summer job today- detasseling corn. Ask any Nebraskan adult who detasseled corn as a teen about the work, and I guarantee they will answer you with passion. So did my teenage daughter when I picked her up this afternoon. They returned home with shoes coated with mud, clothes dusted with pollen, corn scrapes on their necks. "I'd rather hoe every bean field in Nebraska than detassle," said one friend of mine. But they survived, and they're returning tomorrow. The promise of money is a big motivator.
(photo credit to unruly things at Flickr)

4. Have you ever seen M.I.L.K cards? It's probably a good thing I don't know where to buy them, except for this online site in England, and I am admittedly much too chicken to do that!

5. Our Saturday plans? there are none. and that is good. :-)
Blessings!

No comments: