Share with others

24 May 2010

wise words

and one more from Kevin DeYoung's blog that follows that idea of daily obedience and faithfulness over the long haul...
the quoted section are thoughts from a young lady who spent the last few years working as a missionary with Food for the Hungry in the Philippines. The last paragraph are DeYoung's comments. 

"I didn’t change the world. I didn’t start a revival. I didn’t eradicate poverty. I didn’t cure whole villages of malaria. I didn’t open a school or hospital. I didn’t single handedly share the gospel with an entire temple of Buddhist monks and have them all become believers in Jesus Christ. I didn’t translate the Bible into an obscure language. I didn’t get thrown into jail for my faith and then have an entire nation repent due to my witness. I didn’t bring a physically poor community into self-sufficient prosperity. I didn’t find every single street child a home with a loving family.


I did strive to build relationships. I did walk alongside people as they struggled to live each day. I did value and love those that I worked with and those that I worked for. I did have part of my heart forever planted here. I did constantly learn and grasped that the more you know about a people, the more you understand that you haven’t even begun to figure it out. I did share about Jesus Christ to people who had never heard. I did change from wanting to help “the poor” to acknowledging that we are all poor in one way or another and that we are all walking together. I did allow God to strip away idols and distractions from my life (which is a scary process by the way) to reveal my true heart. I did know more fully that God’s grace is truly sufficient."

Wise words, Katie. God asks for faithfulness, humility, and love. The rest of the work is up to him.

1 comment:

Darby said...

so good. thanks.