Share with others

30 December 2010

Thus far

What a year, 2010.

I began the year hopeful, expectant, of what was ahead, of what the Lord would show us, of where He would take us.
Perhaps a bit anxious, as well, taking steps in faith, one by one, eyes fixed on a path that He set out.

The first half of the year often found me pressed on every side, mourning “lasts” while taking care of tasks. At times, it seemed there was a mountain ahead of us, and we were barely over the first hill. There were times, so many times, that we simply came to the end of ourselves, and there was absolutely nothing else to do but pray. And in those times, our God always, every single time, provided for us.

In the second half, homeless but never without a place, I almost felt as if we were following His cloud by day and His pillar of fire by night. And yet, the fellowship we experienced was rich. We knew His presence keenly. I often felt alone, but I never felt abandoned.

In this year, He met our needs exceedingly abundantly, far more than we could ask or conceive. He gave us people when we were in need. He provided funds when we didn’t know where else to ask or to look. He opened doors we thought had been closed. He gave us His Word at specific moments for encouragement. He showed me my sin, and then gently poured on grace. He took us on roads we had not before travelled, and He made us to be blessed.

And 12 full months later, I rejoice in His goodness.
Again, I look ahead expectantly, and again a bit anxiously as well, for what lies ahead.

Today I was reminded of Samuel, who set down a stone, and said, “Thus far the Lord has helped us.” Yes, today I look back at the past, but like Samuel, I then turn towards the future, knowing the journey is not yet finished and ever certain that He will be faithful to bring His plan to completion. Charles Spurgeon writes, “When the words “thus far” are read in heaven’s light, what glorious and miraculous prospects they reveal to our grateful eyes!”

Onward to 2011!

(photo credit: Stone by karinaliberty on Etsy)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

You my dear are an incredible writer.

Happy New Year Friend. Here is to a New Year filled with even more adventure for the H family.

no longer working said...

Hard year and a good year. I totally understand.

I thought you might be interested in participating in January Reflections '11 on my blog.

Here is more info. http://thegloriousimpossible.com/pages/january-reflections