Share with others

12 February 2011

If it were my home...

Through internet wanderings, thanks to Kate at  behind the gate, I came across IfItWereMyHome.com . This site gives a statistical snapshot of life in another country, and compares life in that place to the United States.

So of course, I had to try Costa Rica...
They tell me that living in Costa Rica, I use 85.7% less electricity and 84.15% less oil.  I think that's true, because it seems like our house is always dark!  We don't have a clothes dryer.  Our hot water heater is small.  Our stove uses propane. And we primarily walk or use public transportation here.

They say that we would have 20.39% more babies in Costa Rica. We break the rules here (but we break the rules in the US, too!) It is very unusual to find a modern Costa Rican family, at least in San Jose, with more than 2 kids.  Most people are amazed we have 5 here (and our grown-ups and grand back in the States, besides!).

There's a neat feature that shows the country size in comparison to a place in the US. Costa Rica fits in an area within southern Nebraska to central Kansas. 

Then I checked the comparison with Mexico, and the stats aren't that different than Costa Rica.
But, I had to smile when I looked at the recommended books and the list included one for NEW Mexico...  (ah yes, one of our fifty is still missing...)

Try it for the places you are, or where you have a heart for, or where you'd like to go, even for a visit.

2 comments:

kate o. said...

oh, that site is addictive, no??

glad you had fun with it.

and thanks for your thoughts on hospitality. yes, opening my home as it really is can be painful at times. i think that is why God has a lot of our hospitality come with little to no notice. it's sanctifying for me ;)

norsk said...

I had to try this, of course! Norway is not bad at all, eh?