Share with others

23 April 2011

That's My King

Experiencing Easter in Central America is entirely different than the traditions I know from the United States...
Not an Easter Bunny to be seen.
No jelly beans.
No baskets.
No egg hunts.
No new dresses and shiny shoes.
The only decorations are the wooden crosses draped in purple cloth in many front gardens.
I don't miss the Easter Bunny, but I will confess, I wouldn't mind a chocolate egg or two...

Yesterday, Viernes Santa (Holy Friday), the entire country virtually shut down. It was quietquietquiet in our neighborhood. From Thursday through Sunday, religious programming is pretty much the only show to be found on tv, from Misterios y Milagros, a documentary on "mysteries and miracles," to reruns of those epic Hollywood productions of years past, The Ten Commandments and Ben-Hur. Processions took place in neighborhoods throughout the city, depicting Jesus' last hours.  On the evening news, we watched pictures from around the Latin world, scenes of reenacting the crucifixion and examples of bloody acts of self-flagellation.

And, in contrast to the events surrounding Friday, I am told that Easter Sunday really isn't a special day in the Protestant church here. I am told that attendance might well be down in most churches, as folks spend time with family and head to the beach.

Certainly, I appreciate that it is important, crucial, to take time to reflect on the significance of Jesus' death.  He was crucified and died for the sins of the world. He was crucified and died for MY sin. But the Good News is Christ's Resurrection!  The tomb was empty! 

I celebrate the Risen Lord, the Coming King.
The video with the classic oration from Dr. S.M. Lockridge reminds me of all that Jesus is to me:

1 comment:

caron said...

love that video! watched it after a night of game-playing with carlos. miss ya'll.