Share with others

30 June 2014

180/365

It was a fútbol weekend for us- three games of beach soccer through Saturday and Sunday early, listening to Mexico v. Netherlands on the radio during the road trip home (oh the heartbreak!), watching Costa Rica v. Greece in the late afternoon. Soccer is part of the warp and weave of our life. Though admittedly, some of us are bigger fans than others, we're all arranging our day to watch the US v. Belgium on Tuesday.

I started playing soccer in fifth grade, because I saw a neighbor friend play and I knew I could play that game too. I played recreational soccer through college. I reffed little kids when I was in high school. I coached youth soccer for many years. And now I get to cheer on my own daughter. (Yes, cheer. Not coach. Mostly not coach, anyway...)

I love that Americans are loving soccer in this World Cup season. I love that I live in a place where I can turn on the tv and watch a soccer game 365 days a year. I love that I can listen to announcers call a soccer game in Spanish and in English. I love the emotion of the soccer announcers. (in my opinion, there is nothing comparable to "gooooooooooooooolllllllllllllll" in all of sports.) And in this season of World cup play, I love listening to the British announcers on ESPN- all these years of being around soccer and only in the last month have I learned what an equaliser is. (and hey! my player scored an equaliser on Saturday!)

I'm pretty sure that the only soccer game my grandfather ever watched was when I was running around the park as an 11 year old player in an orange reversible jersey. But, after watching yesterday's game between Costa Rica and Greece (Vamos Ticos!! Oe oe oe oe oe!!), I am pretty sure that he would have loved it too. He who hated the dunk and lauded the addition of the 3 point shot in pro basketball would have loved the pace, the suspense, and the ultimate ending of that knock-out match. Sorry Ann Coulter- you are way off-base on your criticism of soccer. (and I'm not even going to legitimize your comments by including a link!)

Juguemos fútbol!

No comments: