Share with others

11 October 2009

Everyday, ordinary life

Everyday and ordinary, maybe only to me.
I have called it schizophrenia, but then I looked up the definition of that condition, and really, that's not it at all.

I think it's closer to multiple personality disorder.

Everyday ordinary life.

I live in a unique place.
I have the privilege of interacting with a whole wide range of folks.
Different folks.
Different jobs and levels of education.
Different backgrounds and origins.
Different languages and cultures.
Different socioeconomic statuses.
Different from me and different from each other.

Last week on Monday night, I gathered with men and women and children from ten nations, men and women and children representing half a dozen languages and the entire spectrum of melanin. I spoke English and Spanish and really-slow-English-with-really-big-hand-motions.

On Tuesday night, I gathered with three sweet friends and we ate dessert and talked about family and church and cooking and life.

On Wednesday afternoon, I helped to prepare and then serve dinner to a group that included residents of the homeless shelter, neighborhood characters, families and singles. Young and old. I laughed over crazy name confusion. I was exhausted.

On Thursday morning I sat in a car with a friend who blessed me by just saying, "Let's pray."

On Friday, I spent the morning with an enthusiastic group of women who gathered to make pie, eventually to sell pie, for my family's support raising efforts. I made pie, and perhaps ate a bit of "humble pie." On Saturday morning, my dog ate apple pie. (grrrr!)

On Saturday, I cheered on homeschool volleyball teams, high school and junior high, sitting with like-minded parents, thankful for this season of life.

Our days are school and sports and ministry and faith. Our moments are laughing and stories and tears and prayers. Our hope is in the Lord alone.

Everyday, ordinary life.

4 comments:

b said...

Lovely post, K. Blessings in your everyday life this week. B.

Marcy {pine creek cottage} said...

I can't think of anyone who would be better able to handle all that you do!

You are a blessing to so many...

Joetta said...

Looking forward to having you experience "everyday life" on the farm in the fall of the year!!

Anonymous said...

What a whirlwind and what a blessing to run this crazy race that has been set before us...all by the grace of GOD and all BECAUSE of the grace of GOD! :-) Thankful to be running it with you, even if at a distance...press on, dear friend!