Share with others

05 November 2010

Abolitionists today



Yesterday in chapel a peer, a young lady with a passion for the lost and hurting and broken of this world, spoke on human trafficking and women and children and the sex trade industry (yes- industry) in Latin America.  She started with this video, the one shown above.  It's a hard 3 minutes and 49 seconds to watch.  I wanted it to be over.  I warn you, if you watch it, you will want it to be over too.

But reality is, it is not close to over.
It exists in Asia.
It exists in Latin America.
It exists at the US/Mexico border.
It exists in the United States.
It exists in Nebraska.
No matter where you are, it exists.
It is not just a problem. 
It is a crisis.

In Exodus 22:21-23, Scripture tells us "You shall not wrong a stranger or oppress him, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt. You shall not afflict any widow or orphan. If you afflict him at all, and if he does cry out to Me, I will surely hear his cry."

In Luke 4:16-19, we see Jesus enter the sanctuary and go forward to read. 
"The book of the prophet Isaiah was handed to Him. And He opened the book and found the place where it was written,
"THE SPIRIT OF THE LORD IS UPON ME,
BECAUSE HE ANOINTED ME TO PREACH THE GOSPEL TO THE POOR.
HE HAS SENT ME TO PROCLAIM RELEASE TO THE CAPTIVES,
AND RECOVERY OF SIGHT TO THE BLIND,
TO SET FREE THOSE WHO ARE OPPRESSED,
TO PROCLAIM THE FAVORABLE YEAR OF THE LORD."

What does this mean for me or for you? 
I don't know.
I'm praying on it.
I confess, it seems too big.

But my confidence and hope is in the promise of Zechariah 8:6-8, "Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'If it is too difficult in the sight of the remnant of this people in those days, will it also be too difficult in My sight?' declares the LORD of hosts.

Thus says the LORD of hosts, 'Behold, I am going to save My people from the land of the east and from the land of the west; and I will bring them back and they will live in the midst of Jerusalem; and they shall be My people, and I will be their God in truth and righteousness.'

Let justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever flowing stream.  Amos 5:24
It is not too difficult for Him.

No comments: