Share with others

25 November 2010

thankful

The Christian is suspended between blessings received and blessings hoped for, so he should always give thanks.
—M.R. Vincent
(thanks to ChalliesDotCom)

I think that Thanksgiving might be my favorite holiday.  It's such a simple day, really, giving thanks, being with loved ones, celebrating with good food.  Here where my family is, in Costa Rica, they don't celebrate a day of thanksgiving.  I sort of feel that they are missing out.  As I read this morning in Psalm 92,

It is good to give thanks to the LORD
And to sing praises to Your name, O Most High;
To declare Your lovingkindness in the morning
And Your faithfulness by night,


Today I am thankful for a traditional dinner- comfort food at its finest,
friends to share it with,
talking with all kinds of family,
kids excited about Advent,
a day off from school tomorrow,
the stillness when the entire house is quiet,
exceedingly abundant provision. 

But I'm ever aware of how all that is temporal.  There are also the days with rice and beans,
and lonliness and longing,
and an empty mailbox,
and grumbling,
and nonsensical pronouns and verb conjugations,
and wet towels,
and a never ending line of ants. 
Am I thankful then? 

I am quite sure that I am only able to answer yes because of the exceedingly Good News of the Gospel, the saving work of Christ on the Cross.  I am thankful for forgiveness when I am so very undeserving.  I am thankful for the promise of salvation, and for everything made new in eternity.  I am thankful for the grace and peace of the Christ, for the one true God who formed me, and knows me, and shows me more mercy and love than I will ever really understand.  I am thankful for His rest.

Suspended between blessings received and blessing hoped for, I will give thanks.

(art credit: Giving Thanks by cec115art on Etsy)

No comments: