Share with others

25 November 2010

Traditions

It's never too late for a new tradition, right?

Inspired by the great idea of Gretchen at Lifenut, prior to the traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year, we served a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving dinner.  Of course, none of us are quite as smooth as Snoopy in the kitchen, but even my kids think that sharing toast, popcorn, pretzels and jelly beans as an appetizer, all while watching the movie, is a fun idea.  (ok- in truth, we skipped the toast this time...)  I think it's a brilliant tradition for families with little kids, and I'm going to keep it up as long as there are youngsters in my house.  Or visiting my house.   

Of course, we also had a more traditional meal, including the uniquely Holliday ham/onion roll-ups.  I'd sure like to know the origin of the roll-up, but it pretty much seems to be one of those "because that's how we've always done it" traditions.  Surprisingly, finding green onions isn't as easy as you think it might be, but for the sake of tradition, my husband sought them out, and the kids rolled them up. 

Who would think that jelly beans and green onions are making memories on Thanksgiving? 

No comments: