Share with others

02 November 2010

Election day

Ok, so in truth, I didn't.
I feel a bit bad about that.  It's the first time I haven't voted in probably 20+ years.  I love voting.  I drag my kids with me.  It's an Event, participating in the privilege of democracy.

But, this year, I'm not in the same country and barely on the same continent. 
We moved from the address where I have been registered to vote for the past 7 years.
Our current mailing address isn't even a residence. 
So, this year, I'm one of the slackers that won't be able to complain for the next two year election cycle. 

Over the last few months, honestly, I haven't missed politics a bit.
Haven't missed campaign ads with doomsday voices telling of the what the other candidate did, or didn't, do.
Haven't missed a mailbox full of glossy flyers. 
(I do miss mail...  just not THAT mail...)
Haven't missed answering the phone only to hear recordings with a candidate acting as if he's my best buddy.
Haven't missed door to door visits.
Haven't missed being solicited to sign petitions for this measure or that recall.

Haven't missed Election Day. 
When I checked here and here, and saw the cool interactive maps. 
I do love a good map...
If only politics were always as clean as filling in a map on election night...

No comments: