Share with others

07 January 2013

New Year

"New Year" from The Valley of Vision

O Lord,
Length of days does not profit me except the days are passed in thy presence, in thy service, to thy glory

Give me a grace that precedes, follows, guides, sustains, sanctifies, aids every hour,
that I may not be one moment apart from thee,
but may rely on thy Spirit
to supply every thought,
speak in every word,
direct every step,
prosper every work,
build up every mote of faith,
and give me a desire
to show forth thy praise,
testify thy love,
advance thy kingdom

I launch my bark on the unknown waters of this year,
with thee, O Father, as my harbour,
thee, O Son, at my helm,
thee, O Holy Spirit, filling my sails.

Guide me to heaven with my loins girt,
my lamps burning,
my ear open to thy calls,
my heart full of love,
my soul free.

Give me thy grace to sanctify me,
thy comforts to cheer,
thy wisdom to teach,
thy right hand to guide,
thy counsel to instruct,
thy law to judge,
thy presence to stabilize.

May thy fear be my awe,
thy triumphs my joy.

Perhaps one of my most continual pleas in prayer is "more of you, less of me, O Lord." This old Puritan New Year's prayer summarizes that petition so well. I think of three words to strive towards in the year ahead- obedient, content and expectant. Obedient to "rely on thy Spirit," how could I better hear that still small voice of the Comforter, and respond well? Content with His grace and steadfast love, will I put aside the complaints and grumbles that so quickly distract? Expectant of the good work He has yet to bring to completion, might I ever look forward in anticipation and hope?

The truth is, however, I can't do any of that on my own. I can never muster up the cheer, the satisfaction, the optimism, relying on myself. The prophecy from Isaiah, echoed in Luke 3, reminds me all that Christ fulfills, every valley filled, every mountain and hill made low, the crooked becomes straight, the rough places become level, "and all flesh shall see the salvation of God." He is my hope and He is my certainty.

The references to the sea in the ancient New Year's prayer reminds me of a modern song, Pilot Me, a similar request and appeal,

I will arise and follow you over
Savior please, pilot me

Over the waves and through every sorrow
Savior please, pilot me

When I have no more strength left to follow
Fall on my knees, pilot me
May your sun rise and lead me on
Over the sea’s, savior pilot me

O’ Lord

Obedient, content, expectant.
Onward, 2013.



No comments: