Share with others

02 October 2017

273/365

Tim invited a few boys that he has been doing a robotics project with on weekday afternoons to come over to our house this weekend. They'd work on the robot car and have lunch with us. One of our girls overheard that invitation and she wanted to come, too. Sure! So we made a date with these kids and waited for Saturday morning.

The boys had the robotics project, but I didn't have anything special to do with my young friend. I figured that we could make cookies. Maybe play some Uno. Now before any of you go getting upset and thinking that I'm being sexist while the boys do science and I make cookies in the kitchen with the girls... fine. All I can tell you is that I'm doing what I know how to do. Tim knows robotics. I know cookies. And I can play Uno.

Here's my problem. I've never baked in my new oven. I'm a just a little bit afraid of it, the oven part, that is. It is gas. And the automatic ignition, well, it clicks a lot.

When we lived in Costa Rica, our rental house had a gas oven. To light it, I had to turn the knob and start the gas and then reach in with a lit match to ignite the torch. I'd hear the hiss of the gas, and then I knew, the clock was ticking before the time bomb would explode. Indeed, every once in a while, it did. One time, the gas lit with a small boom and I found myself sitting on the floor beyond the kitchen door. Now, in the interest of full disclosure, the kitchen was about 4 feet square, so I wasn't moved far. And thankfully, I still had eyelashes. But friends, the fear is real.

Considering all that, on Saturday I opted for no-bake cookies. The kind I can stir on the stove top and cool on the tabletop. I gathered the ingredients and waited.

The boys arrived, and did their robot thing for a while. But my friend never showed. Who knows why not. I'll find her today and ask. I made the cookies anyway. Then I heated up taco fixings, and warmed tortillas. (Neat feature of Mexican stoves- the cast iron tortilla warmer in the center!) We all ate lunch together and played a couple rounds of Uno. I offered them some cookies. Um. Well. They weren't a hit. Too chocolatey, too rich, I think.

Maybe next time I need to lite the oven...

No comments: