Share with others

28 October 2017

300/365

This hasn't happened in a while.
My friend and teammate looked up over her computer screen and says to me, "I'm thinking Pupusas."
Pupusas.
Yeeeessssss.
It's Friday.
And it's Pupusas.
And it's my friend.
It takes me about one fraction of a second to respond, "Let me ask."
I text my guy.

Now, in my mind, I'm thinking He might say no. He might just want to stay home. I have the leftover rotini. It will be fine...

One minute later, which, just in case you don't know my guy and you don't ever try to communicate with him, is a Personal Best record time of response, he sends back, "Sounds great"
My response? "Wootwoot!!"

Las Pupusas del Itacate wins my Best Restaurant of Reynosa vote. It's colorful- indoors and out. Traditional tables and chairs fill the cozy inside space. A myriad of roosters and other Mexican art fills the spaces and walls. (ok. so maybe NOT all the chunches (that's Costa Rican for "stuff") are really Mexican. And how do folks in India know about loteria, anyway?) We play I Spy and look for something new every time we dine.

And the food. It's really good, always fresh. I order the jamaica, every time. A tray of pickled purple cabbage and green cabbage and spicy carrots with jalapeƱos and green and orange salsas come to the table when you order. The tacos ala plancha come with plenty of meat and taste great, more so when you add a slice of avocado and the salsa and cabbage. The namesake pupusas are a favorite. On Friday and Saturday, they serve posole, steaming hot bowls of hominy stew with pork, ready to be topped with radishes and cabbage and lime and ancho chile sauce. Oh, and bonus!- all this goodness and the bill comes in very affordable, besides.

We nearly always arrive to an empty dining room, our American dining habits never quite in sync with Mexican norms. On the coolest evenings since spring, everything worked together to create a sweet night. Sharing a Friday night meal with two of my favorite companions, easy and unhurried, was a great end to the week.
Great idea, Kimmy.

No comments: