Share with others

21 October 2017

289/365

My phone buzzed in the middle of eating my Kung Pao Chicken. Normally, I am a firm believer in putting away all the electronic devices during a meal. (well, unless we can use it to check out some fun fact, a question that can be answered quickly and definitively. Admittedly, that can lead to rabbit trails so probably keeping the devices hidden remains the better choice. But I digress...) During this meal however, I was waiting for news, and so I kept my phone tucked under my leg. The seat rumbled and I glanced quickly at the lit up telephone screen. The announcement came in a the form of a text, a simple
"Look who is here."
followed by the image of a most precious tiny bundle of perfect human life, a brand new baby.

In The Weight of Glory, C.S. Lewis wrote, "You have never met a mere mortal." I still marvel at the wonder of new life. The miracle of an infant, perfectly formed in miniature, overwhelms me. No less so on this day. I can not begin to understand the circumstances which bring this little guy into my friends' lives, and as such, into my own. But like my most dear friends, I am trusting He who is sovereign over all things, who fearfully and wonderfully creates all life, to work out this story of His glory, too.

We cracked open our fortune cookies and I am pretty certain that my message came to me a day late. Certainly my unexpected blessings arrived today. I traveled the couple hours south to home, contemplating this new wonder the entire way, praying for the complexities of the situation and rejoicing in the simplicity of such a wonderful gift. But before arriving at my own door, I first made a detour,  for a face to face meet up with this new little guy in our lives. We are showered with blessing, indeed.

No comments: