Share with others

22 January 2009

Blind date

Today's writing assignment from MamaKat at Mama's Losin' It:
"Tell us about a memorable blind date."

"Blind date"- –noun
1.a social appointment or date arranged, usually by a third person, between two people who have not met.
2.either of the participants in such an arrangement.
Origin: 1920–25, Americanism


One blind date remains particularly memorable. Had I been on others? I think so, though none stand out. My college roommate and I were the girls that everyone in the house wanted to set up on a blind date. Sometimes we were game. Sometimes we were not. But for this spring pajama party, why not, we thought.

A friend was dating a nice guy from the Naval ROTC unit. She stood in front of their composite photo and picked out two guys for us. I ended up with the guy that was the taller of the two, because I was taller than my roommate. And, he was divorced and had a daughter. Our friend thought I would be better with that than my roommate. "Why not?-it's just a date," I told her.

We were t-shirts and boxer kind of girls, so we headed over to Sears for some non-descript men's pjs. We shared a two-pack. We were practical pajama party kind of girls.

The night came, and my date arrived. He was wearing Dennis-the-Menace-style red one-piece pj's, complete with drop bottom. Ever a gentleman, the bottom stayed buttoned.

We talked a lot. We danced. We had a great evening. We planned to meet again.
And we did meet again, over and over.
Two and a half years after that blind date, we were married.
And, nearly twenty one years after that blind date, we still have pajama parties, that guy and I do.

Much to my children's horror, I even have a photo. We're the two at the top. For the sake of the rest, I won't identify any names! (but, one of those couples also married, and is still together today, too!)



Be sure to check out Mama's Losin' It for more writing prompts!

10 comments:

Valerie said...

Wow! I remembered the story that you had a friend that introduced the two of you to each other, but didn't quite realize it was a blind date. That is neat!

I don't think I've ever been on a blind date myself!

C and J said...

Oooooh, I just love that story! But I had not seen the picture! Very fun!!!!! XOXOXOXO

Anonymous said...

Great picture!! Someone had a lot more hair back then.

Lacey said...

That's awesome that you still have the picture from that night. How fun! Yay for pajamas! :D

Anonymous said...

I think it's awesome that you have that picture! :)

Heatherlyn said...

I found you from the mr. linky at the writers workshop. What a cute story. I love that you have a picture!

CJ said...

Great story. My blind date story was also memorable but not so successful.

ashley said...

your hair is HUGE!! I love it!

I knew that you had met on a blind date, but I didn't know you had a picture! That is really awesome!

K said...

Yes...
BOTH of us had a LOT more hair back then-
it WAS the 80's you know... :-)

Michelle said...

Like Val, I didn't remember you two met on a blind date and how great that you have a picture of the first time you met!!