Share with others

30 April 2009

Home Delivered Meals

I'm a day late for Wordful Wednesday. Alas. Some weeks are like that.

But really, that's OK, because today is Thursday, and on the first, third, and if there's a fifth, Thursday of the month, my family delivers meals for the Eastern Nebraska Office on Aging. Yep- basically we are meals on wheels.

ENOA is preparing to hold its annual fundraiser, "Sharing the Table," and this photo will be part of their "slide show." (are there really slide shows anymore? isn't everything a "multi-media production"?) This photo is missing my middle daughter, she was at basketball practice that day, but other than that, I love this picture. Even if we are all squinting. Even if you can't see that I have eyes.

My family has been delivering meals for a while now, maybe four or five years. I've lost track. It makes us sound much nicer than we are. Delivering meals is really one of the easiest things we do in a week. It takes about an hour, and I am certain we are more blessed by our clients than we are a blessing to them. And I am certain that most of our clients are more happy to see the kids than they are to see the food.

When we started, all 6 of us would go to every door. We quickly got over that! Now, one or two of the kids deliver each meal. We make about 10 stops, several with multiple meals. No- we do not cook the meals! All we do is pick up the meals, and then deliver them to each client on our list.

We all have favorites. We have clients that are cantankerous and grumpy, but soften right up with the kids. We deliver to those with disabilities and dementia. We delivered to a lady who told us the same story every week for three years. And then one day she added, "...but maybe I've told you that." HA! (uh, yeah, maybe, but we understand...)

We delivered to one lady that we knew was old, but we didn't know HOW old until one day I asked her how she was feeling, and she answered, "Pretty good for a lady that is 102." 102! You should have seen my daughter's eyes pop out!

We deliver to one lady who smokes "like a chimney" says my girls, and has me put out food for the stray cats ("you shouldn't take part in an illegal activity" says my son), and gives my girls Tootsie Roll pops but not my son. She must be able to tell he's against the cats...

We delivered to one lady with hoarding behaviors. Honestly, she could barely make it to the front door, she had so much stuff. Boxes and boxes and racks and racks and stacks and stacks of stuff. She was constantly in trouble with her neighbors for the perpetual yard sale filling her driveway. But oh!- did she delight in seeing my daughter!

We delivered to one man, an old gentle soul, who asked me if I'd like to join his chapter of the Hell's Angels. "You don't have to ride a bike," he told me. Me!? A Hell's Angel!? The only bike I know is my mountain bike that has cobwebs on the spokes right now...

So here's an exhortation to you families: if you are looking for a fun, easy, rewarding way to serve, deliver meals! My only caveat- make sure your kids can buckle their own seat belt first! And then, get ready to be blessed.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You are doing a wonderful job teaching your kids to give back!!