Share with others

23 April 2009

I'll Never Forget...

It has been a few Thursdays since I joined MamaKat and the Writer's Workshop over at Mama's Losin' It. This week's assignment? I chose number three:
Why won't you forget? List six true sentences that begin with the words 'I'll never forget...' Then use all six of your sentences in a paragraph, poem, or longer descriptive piece.(writingfix.com)

I’ll never forget…
Four years old,
Hiding under the bed,
Piercing sirens wailing,
TV on.
Tornado in the neighborhood.

I’ll never forget…
Elementary school years.
La Cienega picnic grounds.
Marshmallow roasting on a whittled stick,
Slick rocks across a bubbling stream,
Sticky sap of vanilla scented pines.

I’ll never forget…
17 years old and invincible,
Road trip AZ to CO.
Dusty dry Moab camping,
Dire Straits out the window,
Rocky Mountain air in June.

I’ll never forget…
College summer before senior year.
Train ride Juarez to Mexico City.
Glowing smoking wildfires rage outside,
Closed window musty inferno smolders inside,
Babble of language to be learned.

I’ll never forget…
Eight months pregnant in July.
Unfiltered sunshine on the shadeless Kodak Hula Show.
Strumming ukuleles, swirling grass skirts, beating tribal drums.
Frozen lemonade for sale,
Sweet tart icy cold slushy delight.

I’ll never forget…
The comfort of mid-life friendship.
Dawn of early morning Fridays.
Holding a warm mug of strong coffee,
Trusted confidence,
Prayer and tears mingle sweetly together.

I'll never forget...
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And all that is within me, bless His holy name.
Bless the LORD, O my soul,
And forget none of His benefits.
Psalm 103:1-2

And you? What will you never forget?

5 comments:

KatBouska said...

Wow! So much to say and so simply said. I love this!

Amy McMean said...

stopping by from Mama Kat's

I liked your post I felt like i was there with you on that train.

What a great set up for your post it flowed great.

b said...

Beautiful words, K. I especially relate to the 'eight months pregnant in July'...'comfort of mid-life friendship...dawn of early morning Fridays...holding a warm mug of strong coffee'...Right there with you! Blessings - B.

C and J said...

I'll never forget...

Holding you during those awful tornados, wondering how we would make it through it, how I could protect you and your sister...

Making costumes, cakes, and cookies during those elementary years, wondering how I could make you realize how special you were...

Worrying about your being 17 years old, driving on a road trip to AZ and CO, wanting to give you independence, but scared to see you have it....

Your college summer before senior year, when at the last minute I had to drive you to El Paso and watch you go to that train, trying not to cry, hoping you would make the right decisions and be safe...

Concerned about your every move during all of the months you were pregnant times four, wondering what I could say or do to help...

Missing having the comfort of a daughter during the senior life moments sometimes...

Worrying and praying about a family I love so much...

I love you very much!
XOXOXOXO

Julie said...

Love this! Maybe I would enjoy the writer's workshop ... what a great idea.