Share with others

31 October 2010

on weakness

One of the greatest blessings and treasures of our journey over the last few years has been to walk next to others on the same path.  We had the tremendous privilege of meeting Johnny and Annette Johnson a couple of years back, at our very first MTW event.  Praying with Johnny and Annette and several other couples one evening as we embarked on this journey to the ends of the earth will forever be one of my most precious memories.The Johnsons are now serving the Lord in the Czech Republic, struggling to learn language and culture, and even though a thousand miles and multiple time zones away, our hearts continue on the same beat.  I so appreciated, and identified with, their words on weakness this past week...

As of today, weakness is about all I’ve got to offer.  I once had (or at least I thought I had) some skill, some facility in teaching and training people, some place of power in God’s service that he might be able to use.  That’s all gone.  I am standing at the threshold of a new understanding: my weaknesses and struggles are not something to be managed and to get beyond as soon as possible, they are the essence of God’s strategic plan – first in Jesus, now in me.  If God can use a bumbling weakling and struggler like me to help break down the gates of hell, it will be to the eternal frustration and defeat of our enemy and to the eternal praise and glory of our God. 

Amen.  To Him be the glory.

No comments: