Share with others

01 March 2013

book list 2013

For both of the past two years I have started lists, but never kept them up, and I regret that. I'm trying anew this year, keeping tracks of the books I finish each month and a sentence or two to describe each. I hope to update the list monthly... (I'm including books I read with my girls for school...)

January-
Clementine, Friend of the Week by Sara Pennybacker- my favorite modern little girl series- think Ramona in the year 2010; spunky, clever, with wise parents, and a great ending every time.
Tinkers by Paul Harding- the story of an old man on his death bed, his memories interwoven with the voice of his father long ago, in descriptive and poetic narrative.
Remembering by Wendell Berry- another in the Port William series, this time told by Andy Catlett after an accident on the farm takes his hand away.
George Washington's World by Genevieve Foster- The history of the world during the years of George Washington's life, 1732-1799.
A Live Coal in the Sea by Madeleine L'Engle- the tangled and sometimes ugly story around astronomer Camilia Dickinson's family (L'Engle fans- what other book is Camilia in?), but one that ties up all loose ends with redemption.
The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes- written by 17th century Puritan Sibbes, this work centers around Isaiah 42:3, a comforting reminder of the grace and mercy of Christ to His people.
The Small Rain by Madeleine L'Engle- the coming of age story of a young girl and her struggle to find identity. Not my favorite L'Engle work, but still, I'm looking for the sequel.

February-
The Devil's Highway by Luis Alberto Urrea- a sad and true story about the Wellton 26 (or the Yuma 14, or the Wellton 14, or the Tucson 14, depending on who you ask), a group of immigrants who crossed the Mexican border into the southern Arizona desert.

State of Wonder by Ann Patchett- Dr. Martina Singh, a pharmaceutical researcher from Minnesota, heads into the Amazon jungle on a multifaceted adventure. This story raises questions of medical and social ethics alongside everyday struggles of living in the hot, mosquito filled, and often dangerous rain forest. This would be a great discussion book.

Loving the Way Jesus Loves- Phil Ryken- Our Sunday school class is working through this book, and I used it to lead a Bible study over the last couple months. I enjoyed this book! Ryken's work takes a look at 1 Corinthians 13 from a entirely new angle, using examples from the life and ministry of Jesus as to what love really is.

March - June-
(dang. I kept thinking, "I should write this down," but I didn't. So... I know I'm missing titles. alas.)
Patron Saint of Liars by Ann Patchett
Truth and Beauty by Ann Patchett
South of Broad by Pat Conroy
Future Grace by John Piper
The Secret Thoughts of an Unlikely Convert by Rosaria Champagne Butterfield

(photo from blankcanvasdesigns at etsy.com)

2 comments:

Julie said...

Yes please do lists! Can I link your monthly on my blog? People are always asking for recommendations. :)

What did you think of Tinkers? Fascinating book!

K said...

Of course you can!! Maybe I should make a note if it's not a recommendation... :-)

Fascinating is a great word for Tinkers! I loved the two voices. The words painted such clear pictures in my mind. It sort of reminded me of Leif Enger...
Have you heard, anything more by Harding in the works?