Share with others

26 November 2017

319/365

I don't remember not suffering from allergies. "She'll probably outgrow it," the docs would say. Forty-something years later, I'm still waiting. I first had allergy testing done when I was in 6th grade- my back a checkerboard of pin scratches, all welts and itch. Yes, I know you are there, you dust, you pollen, you grass, you mold, you weeds, you trees, you cats... I remember that the allergist suggested to my parents that moving to a new state might be a choice. That wasn't an option.

I took shots through high school, initially twice a week, then eventually once a week, but never less than every two weeks. I'd receive one injection in each arm, wait for the 20 minutes for a check, and then out to the curb with my book to wait for my mom to return. And then I sort of just gave up. I went to college and then I married and started moving and who wants to keep up with new allergists? (I can still hear Harold telling me, "Dr. Zig! Call Dr. Zig!) Over the counter meds improved greatly and it's easy to get used to normal, even when normal means a lot of Kleenex in your life. (Always, always, kleenex! Never scented, never lotion, never Puffs!)

But every once in a while, the allergies get bad and the sinuses get infected and, well, that's not so great. For the last couple of weeks, I snuffed my way through daily life, until I realized that, man, this is wearing me out. I had that tap-your-sinuses-under-your-eyes kind of feeling. Actually, I did try tapping my sinuses to relieve the pressure. It didn't work.

Next stop, Pho #1 (and hey- isn't "#1" a hopeful name for a restaurant, an assumption that there will be more Pho to come?) because what could be better for a sinus infection than pho? Are you familiar with pho? Basically, pho is Vietnamese noodle soup. It is medicinal, I am sure, good for the body, good for the soul. Broth soup in any culture ranks as "comfort food" for me- chicken noodle or caldo de res or Italian wedding soup... But, pho seems Especially Good for sinuses because you can make it hot, spicy hot, that is. Pho has jalapeƱos and you can add Sriracha, all with the end goal of draining those sinus passages...

Perhaps I set my expectations a bit too high, hoping for immediate relief. Alas. None came, although the pho itself did not disappoint. That night I continued to be a Mouth Breather. In fact, I think I woke myself up snoring. Thankfully my husband and I weren't in the same place that evening...

I considered a visit to the clinic, and I considered that perhaps this one would not resolve itself. So I did what any reasonable person does- I went to the Internet (I know my doctor friends are cringing. So sorry!). I considered "Sinusitis or Allergies?" (thanks WebMD). I researched "10 Natural Remedies for Sinus Infection" (thanks everydayhealth.com). And I ran into one of my favorite advisors at the store and solicited a consult (thanks Kate!).

(Now, I know that at this point many of you are shouting at me, "Neti Pot!! Try the Neti Pot!!" Let me tell you- NO! I just cannot, will not, do the Neti Pot. It is akin to Waterboarding in my book- physical and psychological torture, both. The Neti Pot is NOT an option.)

But, I did decide to give a few squirts of saline a try, a couple times a day. And for 3 full days, that seemed futile, too. I had pretty much determined that the next stop was a prescription for Zithromax (thanks goodRX.com). And then, I thought, I need to blow my nose.

Without going into the gory details on color (yes, there may have been colors) or consistency (yes, there may have been several grades of viscosity) (yes- let's all utter a collective groan of disgust!), I'll just say, I think the saline worked. It wasn't pretty. But after a few minutes of blowing, I was healed.

I gave thanks! I could breathe! And I've been clear ever since!
Let's celebrate with caldo!

2 comments:

Marcy said...

So glad this worked for you! Sometimes I feel like the saline is just adding more stuff up there without clearing it out. Will keep at it next time.

Harold said...

I think the neti-pot would have been faster. Dr. Zieg has retired. Why don't you google allergy doctors and make an appointment. Just be sure that their degree is in allergy medicine before making the call.