Share with others

26 November 2017

320/365

In a textbook example of What Not To Do as the administrator of the local ESL ministry, I left town for the two weeks prior to the end of the semester and our annual Thanksgiving Celebration. And as testimony to the quality of our ESL ministry staff and to the faithfulness of our students and our God, I arrive back to the good but surprising news that we are expecting over 100 people for dinner on Thursday. 

100 people? 
We added some more tables and chairs and bought some more napkins. 
And I prayed.

We started the Conversational English ministry at Covenant 4 years ago. That very first week we had no idea who would show up. And so we prayed, and continue to pray, that the Lord would give us exactly the amount of people we could handle. That first week, we had three students, and I can honestly say, I was not a bit disappointed, because I really was thankful that we could be trusted with three students. Two of those three students still attend our classes today. Every week after that we continued to add new students, right up to the last week of the year. The ministry has grown every year since. 

So, when we stood at the door and surveyed the fellowship around us, I found myself both giving thanks and feeling somewhat humbled. We figure over 120 people joined us for dinner the Thursday before Thanksgiving. Those faces included students and staff, family and friends and neighbors. I love that our students want to share the night with their family members and their friends. For a long time, I have heard the prayer, "Lord, bring our neighbors to our church." I know from registration forms that most of our students come from the zip code of the church. I know that a few of our students even walk to class each week. Yes, the Lord has brought the nations to our backyard.

I won't post the close-up photos of our students, because I don't have each of their permission to do so. But I do know some of their stories. One dear friend attends classes with us and at another program in town, and I hear her proficiency improving dramatically. Another of my students holds an engineering degree in Mexico, and aspires to work in that field again, but currently works as a waitress. Never assume! One of my students is young, and has changed classes from beginner beginner to intermediate in just a few semesters, always asking questions, always challenging herself more and more. One of my students became a United States citizen last year, just in time to participate in the presidential election. I see my students and I beam. They are dear to me. 

Micah 6:8 reminds us, 
"He has told you, O man, what is good;
    and what does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,
    and to walk humbly with your God?
The ESL ministry accomplishes all of that. I'm thankful and exceedingly abundantly blessed that our church opens the doors to share Thursday nights with our English students and staff. 
See you all in January.

No comments: