Share with others

25 August 2007

Babies need...

We celebrate a new baby in the family this week- a little boy arrived to proud and very happy parents, our niece and nephew-in-law. T's sister is a grandma?!?! :-)

Babies need onesies, of course. Aren't freshly washed onesies, especially if you use that wonderful Dreft that first time moms always do (funny how Tide does just fine for the babies down the line...), the perfect example of baby-ness, in look and smell? A few of our babies needed the bouncy seat. The later version of the battery operated vibrating bouncy seat was especially handy when we had TWO babies and I could only solace one at a time.

There's A LOT of baby "stuff" out there, to be sure. But, recently I stumbled upon the following thoughts somewhere online, and it tells so well of all that babies really need. My apologies to the author, as I didn't take note to credit her, but kudos to her, as well. She captures so well what babies need.

Babies need a mother who is present. One who is available to meet their needs and who cares enough take the time to snuggle and bond.

Babies need a mother who is wise and understanding and who is able to discern what to do in a given situation.

Babies need a mother who is loving and giving.

Babies need a mother who is in control of herself in stressful situations--and believe me when I say that with babies there are many!

Babies need a mother who enjoys laughter and lots of giggling.

Babies need a mother who is excited about their new skills and accomplishments.

Babies need a mother who is ready to teach and to train.

Buying the latest gadgets for baby is not wrong, but I am here to tell you that most of those goodies won't make mothering any easier. Mothering is a full-time job with little monetary benefit, but it does boast the most amazing dividends.

When I think back to my time with my babies, I know that I would do it all over again in a heartbeat. I would, however, do it with a little more life wisdom. Would I buy the cute baby gadgets? Sure, a few of them, but most of my energy would be directed toward my baby's welfare and enjoying my time with them.

Life with baby is work, and all the pink, polka dotted and frilly goodies won't go as far as a mother who is willing to lay down her own wants and needs to do what is needed in the life of her little one.

No comments: