Share with others

16 August 2007

"I'm Holding Out for Grace..."

I found this little piece on Bono, lead singer for the band U2, oh, six months or so ago. I saved it with the title "Cool Bono Quote on Faith."

I was "introduced" to Bono before I met Christ. Without comparison, I'm more indebted, more grateful, more thankful for Christ. But, I sure enjoy the music from Bono. In recent years, Bono has had a lot of publicity, as he hangs out with the likes of Bill Gates and world leaders and icons. This article tells a little bit of how he also stays in front of the cross. Like Bono, I'm holding out for Grace...

Steve Beard has an article over at the BreakPoint web site, a review of French journalist Michka Assayas's Q & A style book of his conversations with the rock star activist, that is well worth the read. I was especially taken with Bono's parsing of karma and grace:

The thing that keeps me on my knees is the difference between Grace and Karma.
You see, at the center of all religions is the idea of Karma. You know, what you put out comes back to you: an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth, or in physics—in physical laws—every action is met by an equal or an opposite one. It’s clear to me that Karma is at the very heart of the Universe. I’m absolutely sure of it. And yet, along comes this idea called Grace to upend all that "As you reap, so will you sow" stuff. Grace defies reason and logic. Love interrupts, if you like, the consequences of your actions, which in my case is very good news indeed, because I’ve done a lot of stupid stuff. . . . I’d be in big trouble if Karma was going to finally be my judge. It doesn’t excuse my mistakes, but I’m holding out for Grace. I’m holding out that Jesus took my sins onto the Cross, because I know who I am, and I hope I don’t have to depend on my own religiosity.

1 comment:

sperlonga said...

We're great fans of Bono here, too. We first heard about U2 when we lived in Scotland and one of our friends, then about 20, was listening to them. I've read another (I think) interview with Bono that put him in a Christian light. Can't remember where it was! Thanks for this, and aren't we thankful for grace! Hope I extend it to my family as well.