Share with others

28 August 2007

Without Thy sweet mercy...

At times, it takes music like this speaking to my heart to remind me to stop and contemplate on all that is true.

This hymn was written by John Stocker, in 1776. I found the 2001 version through Indelible Grace music. Isn't there some comfort that the work of Christ on the cross allows the church universal, even in 1776, even in AD 61 when Paul wrote his letter to the Ephesians, seekers throughout time, to surrender to His mercy? Truly, "there is nothing new under the sun." (Eccl. 1:9)

Thy Mercy, My God
Thy mercy, my God, is the theme of my song,
The joy of my heart and the boast of my tongue;
Thy free grace alone, from the first to the last,
Hath won my affections, and bound my soul fast.

Without Thy sweet mercy I could not live here;
Sin would reduce me to utter despair;
But, through Thy free goodness, my spirits revive,
And He that first made me still keeps me alive.


Thy mercy is more than a match for my heart,
Which wonders to feel its own hardness depart;
Dissolved by Thy goodness, I fall to the ground,
And weep to the praise of the mercy I’ve found.


Great Father of mercies, Thy goodness I own,
And the covenant love of Thy crucified Son;
All praise to the Spirit, Whose whisper divine
Seals mercy, and pardon, and righteousness mine.
All praise to the Spirit, Whose whisper divine
Seals mercy, and pardon, and righteousness mine.
©2001 Same Old Dress Music (ASCAP).

No comments: