Share with others

31 December 2008

Book List

The final edition of the 2008 booklist.

It started stronger than it finished. But in general, I'm not disappointed.
And, this morning, I finished the Bible in a year, beginning to end, though I confess, I doubled the readings this last week to be able to finish. I'm convicted this reading, with a purposeful plan, is a daily must for me- so I'm starting again tomorrow.

For 2009, I'm considering participating in this challenge, and reading a big book, a thick ol' classic, with a friend. Stay tuned.

To keep track of what I've read (including reading through the Bible) in 2008, a list, updated monthly:

January:
CultureShock! China by Angela Eagan and Rebecca Weiner
Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon
Genesis
If by Amy Carmichael
A Chance to Die by Elisabeth Elliot
Exodus

February:
Devotional Classics edited by Richard J. Foster and James Bryan Smith
The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck
These Strange Ashes by Elisabeth Elliot
Leviticus
The Practice of the Presence Of God by Brother Lawrence
Numbers
End of the Spear by Steve Saint

March:
Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracy Kidder
Deuteronomy
The Pursuit of God by AW Tozer
Joshua
Judges
Ruth
Grow in Grace by Sinclair B. Ferguson

April:
Sold by Patricia McCormick
1 & 2 Samuel
Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
A Walk with Jane Austen by Lori Smith
Rise and Shine by Anna Quindlen
Transforming Grace by Jerry Bridges

May:
1 & 2 Kings
The Mitford Bedside Companion by Jan Karon
Suffering and the Sovereignty of God edited by John Piper and Justin Taylor
1 & 2 Chronicles
Four-tenths of an Acre by Laurie Lisle
Crooked Little Heart by Anne Lamott

June:
Ezra
Nehemiah
Job
A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by W. Phillip Keller
My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok

July:
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
The Chosen by Chaim Potok
Good-Bye Mr. Chips by James Hilton
Isaiah
When You Rise Up by R.C. Sproul, Jr.
Psalms
Village School by Miss Read

August:
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Jeremiah
Golden Booklet of the True Christian Life by John Calvin
Lamentations
Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
Ezekiel
Proverbs
Instructing a Child's Heart by Tedd and Margy Tripp

September:
Ecclesiastes
Song of Solomon
Daniel
Hosea
Joel
Amos
Obadiah
Jonah
Micah
Nahum
Habakuk
Zehphaniah
Love Has A Price Tag by Elisabeth Elliot
Haggai
Zechariah
Malachi

October:
Matthew
Mark
Luke
John
The Believer's School of Prayer by Andrew Murray
Spiritual Mothering by Susan Hunt
By Design by Susan Hunt

November:
Acts
Romans
1 Corinthians
2 Corinthians
The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain
A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah

December:
Galatians
Ephesians
Phillipians
Colossians
1&2 Thessalonians
1&2 Timothy
Titus
Philemon
Hebrews
James
1&2 Peter
1, 2, & 3 John
Jude
Revelation
Home by Marilynne Robinson

13 comments:

sperlonga said...

Last year I kept my list on a page in my journal. This winter...what am I reading anyway??? I used to keep records of what I read the kids and when and then rate it. I have a couple of notebook pages around here. Fun to look back on.

sperlonga said...

Thanks! I got it on there. They also had a button to have them load it, and they did! Si vedo sta sera!

jess&mich said...

You've inspired me to keep a list of books I've read this year! Except mine average about 2-3 a month (including books in the Bible) not a gazillion like you. I've had the book IF but had not read it yet. When I saw it up on your blog, I was like, that would compliment A Chance to Die quite nicely. Thank you for the ideas!!! Keep bringing them!

K said...

Gazillion! ::snort!!!:: THOSE were the days! When I was growing up, I'd get a tall tall stack of books from the library and climb up in my grandpa's apple tree and read all day because my grandma would send up food in a little box I would lower down on a rope. Now I have lists of "to read"'s MUCH longer than the list of "have read"'s. And, I suppose, that is good!

Anonymous said...

Oh, my, the transitions from one generation to another is just amazing! I climbed up in MY grandmother's apple tree to hide and read! Again, you have picked one of my very favorites! The Good Earth left such an impact on me when I read it in high school, part of my fun reading. Can you imagine having a child and then going back out to work in the rice fields? Not I! And the ending of the book... Oh, my! Thank you for the sharing! XOXOXOXO, Mom

caron said...

i just picked up "a chance to die" again. need a good amy carmichael slap in the face. haha!

Anonymous said...

Hey, DO SOMETHING ELSE!!!!!!!! No offense, but this boook list is geting kinda old.
xoxo
kgh

K said...

So, Caron, you must have been talking to Estellita again? :-) AC puts things back in perspective, like this from the intro- "our current vocabulary includes such terms as identity, role models, self-image, self-actualization, liberation, upward mobility, and fulfillment, worries that never crossed Amy Carmichael's mind... The Christian life comes down to two simple things: trust and obedience." slapslap. :-)

caron said...

you are correct, sensei! sv.floyd has been kicking my butt in her sweet, casual conversation way.

i love that intro.

i'm also no longer on blogger...notdarkyet.wordpress.com

sorry you're losing your ghetto pal to the lonestar state. hard to imagine the landscape of that town without them floyds.

norsk said...

My question is: how do you find all these websites and blogs to do all these different things, like the reading challenge? I have no clue...oh well. That reading challenge sounds interesting,though!

sperlonga said...

I recommend the One Year Bible. OT, NT Psalms and Proverbs every day. And I finished up today, too. Malachi ends with turning the hearts of the fathers to the children and the hearts of the children to the fathers, NT ends with even so come Lord Jesus, Psalms with "Praise the Lord" and Proverbs with "let her works praise her in the gates".
what a way to end the year!

Michelle said...

I think it is neat that you have kept track of what you have read through the year. I think I might have to do that this year.

Happy New Year my friend! Here is to another full year of good books.

Sherry said...

Good list. You're invited to link to your book list at the Saturday Review at Semicolon this Saturday. The Saturday is dedicated to book lists for this week only.