Share with others

04 November 2008

I Hear America Singing!

I hear America singing, the varied carols I hear,
Those of mechanics , each one singing as it should be blithe and strong,
The carpenter singing his as he measures his plank or beam,
The mason singing what belongs to him in his boat, the deckhand singing on the steamboat deck,
The shoemaker singing as he sits on his bench, the hatter singing as he stands,
The wood-cutter's song, the ploughboy's on his way in the morning, or at noon intermission or at sundown,
The delicious singing of the mother, or of the young wife at work, or of the sewing or washing,
Each singing what belongs to him or her and to none else...

-Walt Whitman, "I Hear America Singing," from Leaves of Grass, 1855
(Art credit: Jolly Flatboatmen in Port, George Caleb Bingham, 1857, Saint Louis Art Museum permanent collection)

2 comments:

sperlonga said...

How do you find these? You are AMAZING! I find your blogs sooth the spirit. Thanks so much for your gracious spirit. It truly is how we all need to be with each other. And Obama's Lincoln quote sums it up.
I deleted my controversial posting. I didn't realize it would create or incite such rancor.

K said...

Whitman's poem and a similar work from Bingham were in the front of the history book we just started for school. It just seemed so appropriate. And, I like it. :-)

My thought is that if we REALLY believe in the sovereignty of God, we have no room to be angry. I know that I am not really capable of righteous anger- my motives are never pure enough! And, I do think that it's an exciting time to be living. I mostly disagree with Obama's policy stands, but will regard his position as our country's leader with respect, nonetheless.