Share with others

05 November 2008

... while the sun shines

If it's Wednesday, it's time to visit SevenClownCircus again! This week's Wordful Wednesday shows a shot of my kids, taken last week on our outing to find pumpkins. An outing that almost turned much more expensive than I planned.

It's a fall tradition for me and my kids to head to the local farm stand and enjoy the traditions of fall and buy a few pumpkins. We've been doing it since my oldest two were toddlers. (except Hawaii... not many pumpkin farms in Hawaii...) For the last few years, we've journeyed a short ways from home, but time got away from us this year, and it was practically the end of pumpkin season before we journeyed mere minutes to a nearby pumpkin patch.

On October weekends, I guess this small family owned farm has a lot going on, tractor rides and pumpkin painting and all that. But on this Wednesday afternoon, it was just me and my kids, and a small group of preschoolers. We wandered around the barn, a lady asked us if we needed help, and I told her no. We kept wandering. We meandered outside. We tramped through corn stalks, formerly known as a maze, but now pretty much trampled and thin. We hopped over a few bales of hay. We climbed over an old tractor. And then we went back to the barn to pick out our pumpkins.

We strolled back into the barn and the lady looks at us and asks, "Were you in the playground?" "Playground?," I asked. Apparently we had crossed over into the entertainment zone and now owed $5 each. $5 times 6 people. ouch. The pumpkin budget is diminishing quickly.

I dug out the checkbook and got ready to write, when suddenly, the lady had mercy on us.
"Well, I'll let it go this time, but next time you'll have to pay,"she told me, sternly.
"I understand, and thank you so much," I told her gratefully, when I was really thinking, "There will be no next time, but lets buy some pumpkins and get out of here!"
We bought 4 nice pumpkins, both because I didn't want to completely stiff her and because that's why we were there in the first place, and such was the adventure until next year.

Make hay while the sun shines!
And have a great Wordful Wednesday!

7 comments:

Claremont First Ward said...

Ouch. That extra cash for crossing the line would have made me cringe, too. Great photo!

Deb said...

now don't be trying to sneak over to the entertainment section again! you've had your first and only warning! at least she wasn't a total grinch. looks like a GORGEOUS day.

Rachael Schirano \\ Rachael Schirano Photography said...

that's a great shot! wow, that would have hurt had she made you pay, thankfully things worked out!

Lori of I'm no super Mom said...

OH my that is insane! At least she had mercy on you! I love the pic!

Anonymous said...

Awesome picture. Great capture of a beautiful day.

tonya said...

Great photo!

Michelle said...

I love that photo of the kids. How funny that you accidently played in the "playground." I'm glad you got out of paying for it. :)