Share with others

12 November 2008

Wordful Wednesday- Wandering Son

If it's Wednesday it's time for Wordful Wednesday, that weekly photo carnival hosted by SevenClownCircus.

My contribution this week- this photo of my family at Hubbard Glacier in the waters of Alaska this summer, my husband, my four girls, and my... WAIT! Everyone EXCEPT my son! And hence, a Wordful Wednesday story...

True to the blog title, many in my family are prone to wander. On this day, my family was headed to one of the observation decks to go outside to, well, glacier watch. (you just never know when glaciers will get exciting. They can break, calf, at any moment, you know...) I went to fetch youngest daughter from an activity and left the others headed topside. (hmmm... that might be submarine, not cruise-line, lingo...)
So while I'm away, our son hops on the elevator and no one else joins him. Did he jump off? No. Did my husband stop him? No. Did my husband shout words of advice like, "Stay on the elevator!" No. In fact, the family witness gives testimony that he actually waved as the elevator doors closed and said "Goodbye." And then, my only son was gone.

Now the good news and the reality of being on a cruise ship is that there's not far to wander and you certainly won't starve. Once back in our room to hear messages, we had periodic posts from wandering son, the likes of "Hi, this is your abandonned son. I'm on the Lido Deck at the Taco Bar..." and "Hi, again, this is your abandonned son. I'm in the restaurant with a slice of pizza." Apparently glacier watching wasn't high on his priorities.

We did eventually find said son, in less than an hour, and we did marvel at the wonder of the glacier. And we did get that family photo, my husband, my four girls, and my son...

Don't forget to head over to SevenClownCircus to enjoy more Wordful Wednesday contributions.

8 comments:

Lori of I'm no super Mom said...

That is a great wordful Wednesday! How funny that Dad didn't stop him, sounds like he had a tasty adventure!

Claremont First Ward said...

I LOVE this. I lived in Juneau for a few years and frequented the Mendenhall glacier. Glad he wandered back for a photo! :)

Jay @halftime lessons said...

SO jealous...
Happy Wordful Wednesday!

Jay @ HalftimeLessons.com

Lisa @ Boondock Ramblings said...

I think that would have freaked me right out! Glad you found him and he found you!

Jen said...

that is really cool, you wander away. Love the pictures.

Rachel said...

too funny. my parents had the same problem with me on a cruise. they got off the ship for a visit, i didn't. i was way too into the pancake bar @ the buffet. they looked for me for 2 hours before they found me munching down some chocolate waffles.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your wondering son had a good time. Looks like an amazing trip!

Michelle said...

So I start reading about it being a picture of your family and then I look over and see a certain boy is missing.....then on to the rest of the story.

That is funny. I'm not sure I remember you telling us that story before.

Ok, you really have to show some of your pictures from China.

The signs would make a great WW.