Share with others

24 September 2010

Soy... Estoy...

For the last couple of weeks in our Gramática class, we have been going over the correct uses of SER and ESTAR. Ser and estar are the Spanish “to be” verbs. Ser is used to indicate permanent and lasting attributes, while estar is used for temporary states and locations. Today, as part of an oral exam, I had to describe a ruler. I had no problem with ser and the ruler:
La regla es lisa.
La regla es de madera.
La regla es rectangular.
La regla es angosta.
La regla es liviana.
La regla no es pesada.

But estar and the ruler? I completely blanked.
La regla está sucia.
La regla está …
A ruler IS. When is a ruler in a temporary condition?

I wish I could say the same about myself…
I need ser and estar.

Because in a permanent and lasting sense,
Yo soy contenta.
I am content.
I am thankful for where I am, and where I am going.
I rest in the knowledge and promise that I am known and loved by the King.
I am challenged and never bored.
I am well provided for, and generally want for nothing.

But, oh too often,
Yo estoy frustrada.
I am frustrated.
I am frustrated that I couldn’t describe a silly ol’ ruler in Spanish,
I am frustrated that I get tongue tied even though I studied, and do really know, a long list of adjectives front and back.
I am frustrated that I never know if my morning shower will be hot or cold.
I am frustrated that I get frustrated!

And then I am reminded of the best use of ser,
by Jesus Himself, who tells us,

Ciertamenta les aseguro que, antes de que Abraham naciera, yo soy!
"Truly, truly, I say to you, before Abraham was born, I am." (John 8:58);

Yo soy el pan de vida.
I am the bread of life. (John 6:35)

Yo soy la luz el mundo.
I am the light of the world. (John 8:12)

Yo soy el buen pastor.
I am the good shepherd. (John 10:11)

Yo soy la resurrección y la vida.
I am the resurrection and the life. (John 11:25)

Yo soy el camino, la verdad, y la vida.
I am the way, the truth, and the life. (John 14:6)

I’ll press on.

(photo credit:  wooden rulers set of five by ConnieandAndrewsDigs on etsy.com)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what a wonderful post. thanks for sharing. i know that soon and very soon i will be feeling and experiencing many of the same things!!

you are loved. :-)