Share with others

21 September 2010

There's a map for that...


View Larger Map
Go figure, I finish 91 days of pictures, and the first day of fall is yet another day away.  How'd I mess that up?

So, honestly, when I started the 91 Days of Summer, I really didn't think that I would make it 91 days.  I just thought it was sort of a catchy title, and I knew that for a while, I'd have some pictures to take.  In my head, summer ends on Labor Day.  (in my head, the seasons would be March-May for spring, June-August for summer, September-November for fall, and December-February for winter.  Can I get an AMEN?)  Truth be told, I almost quit when we got to Costa Rica.  And then I almost quit when we got to Labor Day.  But, basically, I'm stubborn, and I'm not a good quitter.  So I pressed on.

Confession- twice I cheated, and didn't actually use a photo from that day.  It's my blog.  I can do that. 

If I had to write the traditional "What I Did in the Summer of 2010" essay, it could well turn into an epic novel.  We travelled more than 5500 miles in the mega-van, and another 1600 by air.  We stayed in homes and trailers and inns and hotels, and a New York brownstone besides.  We saw fields and lakes and mountains and the ocean and the desert and the wide open west.  We worshipped in 8 different churches.  We only broke down once.  We praise the Lord- for only one break down, and for AAA!

When we left Omaha the first time, back in June, I cried well into Iowa.  And just when I was starting to breathe, our pastor called to check on us, and then I cried a few more miles.  When we left Omaha the second time, in mid-August, I only cried to Lincoln.  When we left Omaha the first time, we only knew that we were spending a month in New York City, and we didn't know what would happen after that.  When we left Omaha the second time, we knew we were headed south, very south, all the way to Central America.  

Even though school was out, we learned some lessons in those 91 days.  We learned that good sleep and eating right helps make everyone happier.  We learned that you should always stop for coffee when you first need it, and you should always try to use the bathroom when you have the opportunity.  (we also learned that Iowa has great rest areas, free internet!, and the best hand-dryer is definitely the Xcelerator.) We learned that there is a lot of highway construction in the summer time.  We learned that you shouldn't drive through the Bronx in the late afternoon.  We learned that if there's only one radio station to be found, it will probably play country music.  We learned friendship is golden, truly a priceless gift.  We learned family is generous, and forgiving. 

I remembered that I must always always wake up before everyone else, because it doesn't get quiet again until everyone goes back to bed.  And I remembered that in that first quiet time before everyone wakes, I need to be still myself.  And read the Word.  And pray.  I remembered that I love a good atlas.  And I remembered that not all ice tea is the same.  (that can be a disappointing lesson to learn again!)  

And we were reminded, over and again, that our God is faithful, ever faithful, to show us mercy and grace, to wrap us in lovingkindness, to always provide for our needs.  Fortunately, that extends beyond summer and into eternity.

Thinking of traveling?  Let us know.
We might have a map for that. 

1 comment:

Julie said...

I love this post. I love reading about your Costa Rica life. And I miss you, friend.