Share with others

04 September 2010

worthwhile, #3

If it is admirable for our military men to die on foreign soil for American freedom, and laudable for First Responders to risk their lives for citizens in peril, why are missionaries dubbed as irresponsible fools when they choose to remain in perilous situations with their families, risking their “necks” (Rom. 16:4) for their friends and the gospel of Christ?

Here is my rationale for regularly sending missionaries with the gospel into hostile surroundings: Risk is always determined by the value of the mission. The gospel is so valuable that no risk is unreasonable. Life is gained by losing it for the gospel. If I die, I go directly to Christ and get to take a few tribes with me. Therefore, if I live, I win. If I die, I win bigger (Phil. 1:22-24) So, where is the problem?

If we, as gospel ambassadors, are unwilling to suffer even as much as soldiers and firemen, could the reason be that we don’t reassure Christ enough or value the gospel enough to sacrifice anything significant for its advance into unreached regions? Is Jesus simply not worth the risk?

David Sitton, To Every Tribe newsletter, Fall 2010

No comments: