Share with others

04 January 2011

January Reflections- Moment

Moment: Describe the best moment, the one you really want to remember, from 2010. Paint a word picture and then share an actual picture.

Behold, how good and how pleasant it is
For brothers to dwell together in unity!
It is like the precious oil upon the head,
Coming down upon the beard,
Even Aaron's beard,
Coming down upon the edge of his robes.
It is like the dew of Hermon
Coming down upon the mountains of Zion;
For there the LORD commanded the blessing--life forever.
Psalm 133

Sunday, August 8.
Our church held a dinner, a celebration, to send my family out into the mission field. 
They kept the fellowship hall a secret from us, well, from me.  I walked in, and gasped, and cried.  It was so beautiful, but even more than the wonder of the room was recognizing the work of my friends that had gone into creating that evening.  We were there a bit early on that Sunday night, and I had a minute to wander and to soak it all in.  It was wonderful.

They commanded me and my husband to sit at a head table, which seemed completely ridiculous.  But, it provided such a view of the room.  That night, I knew every single person in the room, and most of those people, I knew well.  I had held their newborns.  They had held my hand.  Over the years, we worshiped together, yes, but we also served together and ate together and prayed together.  We laughed together and we cried together.  And I could sit and look at all those faces and in a moment, remember so very much.  Precious oil upon my head...

I see the lady at the back, the gal who I love so much, who was our very first financial supporter, a stretch for her budget and such an encouragement to us.  I see friends whose houses were always open to us, those with which we shared more meals than I know how to count.  That guy in the back... we couldn't have moved out of our house without him.  He worked a long day moving furniture for us. And that lady across from him- she is a sister to me. 
Oil running down... 

Those kids with my twins- those are their lifelong friends.  I don't think they remember not knowing those kids. That supper was joy to them.  They ran around and laughed and probably were naughtier, mischievous sitting without their parents than they should have been. And also in that moment, I could watch other little ones running laps around the edge of the room, laughing and screaming, no one bothered but good naturedly ignoring them.
The oil of fellowship coming down the edge of our robes...

Outside the margins of that picture, I know that there were others.  My most dear friends in the kitchen, the place where I really longed to be that night.  Our leaders who taught and counseled and guided us along the way.  A trusted friend on one side of me.  My husband on the other.  Musicians who sang and played and ministered to us that night. 
Like the dew of Hermon...

For there the Lord commanded the blessing...
That is a moment I will keep forever.


No comments: