Share with others

21 January 2011

January Reflections- Gratitude

Grateful: Would you describe yourself as a grateful person? Make a list of 50 things you can thank God for

Grateful?
No, not enough.  I'm sure of that.
I forget too quickly.
I am typically one cold shower away from discontent. I forget that I have clean water.
I am distracted by the trivial and fail to remember the important.

Sometimes, I think, we are only one degree more grateful than the hardest situation we know that is not our own. The at least I'm not...
I want to purpose to be more grateful for the even though... because it is there that I know poverty, and it is there that I am rich.

And yet, I do know, all too well, where I might be, had the fork at any one point in the road led to a different path.
When I contemplate that,
and the many experiences along the way,
the faces,
the gifts,
how can I not be grateful?

Through all the tumult and the strife
I hear it's music ringing,
It sounds an echo in my soul.
How can I keep from singing?
(Eva Cassidy, How Can I Keep From Singing)
50 things to thank God for...

1. His Son
2. faith
3. grace
4. His Word
5. my husband
6. my family
7. fellowship
8. old friends
9. new friends
10. Concepcion
11. home, even in this house
12. sunshine
13. washing machine
14. dry towels
15. clean sheets
16. afternoon nap
17. internet connection
18.  mail in our box
19. visitors
20. unexpected phone calls
21. pizza for dinner
22. coffee
23. chocolate
24. ice cream
25. limes
26. pineapples
27. platano chips
28. language classes
29. hearts to serve
30. a place to go
31. promises
32. good health
33. rapid release tylenol
34. opportunity to travel
35. new experiences
36. sweet memories
37. flipflops
38. my bed (even if it is in storage... someday...)
39. growing ability to speak, and understand
40. our supporting churches
41. sacrificial giving
42. worship
43. Creation
44. Life
45. the simplicity of praise
46. the complexity of love
47. laughter
48. tears
49. brokeness
50. hope

for more January Reflections '11, visit TheGloriousImpossible