Share with others

01 October 2011

on friends

We meet halfway, 25 minutes each, and when I arrive, she was talking on the phone, to friend we both love as a sister, far, far away. So we both got to say the "hello"s and "miss you"s and we smile because we know how dear that friendship is. And then we walk inside and take a table by the window and remember in person how very special it is to know, and be known, to love, and to be loved.

And then, later in the week, the phone rings at 6:36, and a familiar voice from far-away asks, "are you awake? I was thinking of you..." The next hour and 14 minutes launches me into the day ahead with cheer and gratitude.

My best friends make me laugh and don't laugh when I cry.  Mostly. :-)
When we are together, time ticks much too fast. I sit with two dear ladies in a living room and all of the sudden, it is 1 in the morning. We, who are supposed to keep curfew tabs on our teens, forget to check the clock ourselves.

Friends.

(photo- one of my all-time favorite "friend" photos, because we took it to send to another friend. In truth, "we" didn't take it at all- we asked a nice man, patiently waiting for his wife as she shopped, to take it- which just adds to how fun that memory is!)



I'm a few days late for 5 Minute Friday at The Gypsy Mama. But I think she would forgive...

We write because we want to, not because we have to. We write for fun, for joy, for discovery.

We just write without worrying if it’s just write or not.
Won’t you join us?


1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. Go a little overboard encouraging the writer who linked up before you.


OK, are you ready? Give me your best five minutes:
on friends...

No comments: