Share with others

20 October 2011

praying for missionaries

When people ask me how to pray for missionaries, I tell them they need to be remembered daily, because these kinds of stresses are everyday realities. Pray for the big things: that the gospel will advance through their efforts; that they will be sustained through loneliness; that the Lord will provide financial partnerships; and that He will protect them from illness and those who would do them harm. But also remember to pray for the everyday things: transportation to the market, strength to do tasks such as washing clothes and making meals, finding correct boundaries in relation to possessions and privacy, and enduring the stress of long periods of separation. Pray for the Lord to sustain their relationship with Him and with one another. And, particularly, pray for their children. (64-65)
Tommie Sitton, in Reckless Abandon: A Modern-Day Gospel Pioneer's Exploits Among the Most Difficult to Reach Peoples by David Sitton

I recently attended our denomination's women's conference, primarily to represent ESL ministry opportunities and training. But in truth, everywhere I go, I go as a missionary for Christ, as my family and I serve with Mission to the World on the US/Mexico border. At the conference, I was speaking to a kind lady, and after a few minutes of conversation, she made the connection that she prays for me and my family and the ministry at the border. Later in the weekend, a similar conversation was repeated with another lady. Those encounters humbled me, and served as such an encouragement. These ladies I've never met, they pray for me and my family!

Today on his blog Kevin DeYoung highlights a new book by David Sitton, founder of To Every Tribe Ministries. We have a soft heart for To Every Tribe because our team leaders' son is in training with them at the Center for Pioneer Church Planting here in the Rio Grande Valley. But it's the quote by Sitton's wife, Tommi, that stands out to me today- her wisdom after more than 30 years on the mission field.

Serving here on the US/Mexico border, I echo those same requests. I am grateful for prayer for the Big Things- that we would have opportunity to further the Gospel; that we would serve well; that we would be zealous and untiring for Kingdom work; that His provision would always be sufficient. We are grateful for those who recognize the spiritual battle around us, and pray "Thy Kingdom come, Thy will be done..." And although the routine of everyday life is not unusual here as we live on the Texas side of the border, it is different. We do miss family and friends and familiar worship and even seasons and routines of old. Finally, oh how I am thankful for those who pray for my kids, who pray for their hearts and their safety and their spiritual growth and maturity.

Twice in the last couple of months I have received unexpected notes of encouragement, from ladies that are praying for our family and ministry. One was from a lady in a supporting church that I have never met, and included the praises and petitions of the church; the other from a good friend catching me up on ministry happenings and her family. Both blessed my heart, and caused me to smile broadly. It is really sweet to know that we are remembered in prayer.

Our family, and most missionaries I know, send out regular prayer updates via email. Send me a note, and I'd be happy to share our latest with you. In His Word, the Lord tells us that He knows us by name. What an encouragement when His people petition our needs by name before our very sovereign God!

(photo credit: taken at the gardens at Quinta Mazatlan yesterday)

No comments: