Share with others

23 October 2011

slow cooker chicken tikka masala

This Slow-Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala recipe is a do-again-over-and-over kind of recipe. Now, I have real life friends who know what Chicken Tikka Masala should taste like, and I am not promising that this recipe tastes like THAT. But it sure was good, and not too complicated at all.

I found the recipe on Tasty Kitchen while searching for new menu ideas. Somehow, my picture looks nothing like the picture for the recipe on the website. Isn't it strange how that happens?

I doubled the sauce, but not the chicken. (I'm cheap like that.) I used chicken thighs instead of boneless skinless chicken thighs. I didn't have Garam Masala. I couldn't FIND Garam Masala, not at WalMart, not at trusty HEB, and at that point, I wasn't going to one more store, so I compromised with Hot Madras Curry, and really, it wasn't very hot, but it was very flavorful. I am still on the lookout for Garam Masala. (hmmm... now that I'm thinking about it, maybe I should call what I made Chicken Tikka Curry...) I used half and half instead of heavy cream. (again, I'm cheap like that) It was tasty!

We cook rice in our beloved rice cooker, but this time, I added a package of frozen peas when we started the rice, and that worked great! (note: I cook four cups of dried rice at a time. For smaller amounts, you should probably adjust the peas...)  And we also had naan, which I found on the clearance rack at WalMart for less than half price! Bargain!

Friends in the know- how is Garam Masala different than curry? I am guessing that it is not at all spicy hot- is that right?

The recipe... Enjoy!

FOR THE CHICKEN:
9 whole boneless skinless chicken thighs (I used 7 regular thighs, skinned)
1 Tablespoon Ground Coriander
1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
1 teaspoon kosher salt (I used regular salt)
1 cup yogurt
4 Tablespoons butter
1 whole jalapeno pepper, stem removed, pepper pierced several times with a sharp knife

FOR THE SAUCE:
4 Tablespoons butter
1 whole large onion, peeled and diced
6 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1 Tablespoon kosher salt
3 Tablespoons Garam Masala (I used Hot Madras Curry Powder)
1 piece fresh ginger, about 2-3 inches, peeled and grated
4 cups crushed tomatoes
1 Tablespoon Raw Sugar (I used plain old white sugar)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 1/2 cups heavy cream (I used half & half)

TO SERVE:
Hot buttered rice and peas (I used steamed white rice with peas)
Chopped Fresh Cilantro

PREPARATION INSTRUCTIONS:
Cut the boneless skinless chicken thighs into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces. (I used whole chicken thighs and didn't cut them at all) Sprinkle the pieces with coriander, cumin and salt over the chicken (I combined the spices and then put them over the chicken), then stir in the yogurt until all the pieces are evenly coated (I just spooned the yogurt on top). Cover lightly and let sit for 10 minutes before proceeding.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Raise the heat to medium high and quickly brown about 1/4 of the chicken (I did two batches). Transfer browned chicken to the slow cooker as it is finished, using 1 tablespoon of butter per batch, and repeat until the chicken is all in the slow cooker. Throw the pierced jalapeno in on top of the chicken.

Prepare the sauce. Return the pan to the heat and melt the butter over medium high heat. Add the onions, garlic, and salt, then stir. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions begin to lightly brown around the edges.
Stir in the garam masala (or curry :-) ) and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, before raising the heat to high and adding the crushed tomatoes and sugar. Stir well, scraping the caramelized bits from the bottom of the pan, and bring to a boil. Pour over the chicken in the slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low for 5 hours, or until the chicken is very tender. (I started late. Mine cooked on high for about 3 1/2 hours, and it was fine)
Use a fork or whisk to stir the cornstarch into the cream until smooth. (I added the cornstarch to a little bit of liquid, and then added it to the half and half) Pour into the slow cooker and stir gently until the color is even. Replace the lid and let cook for 10 more minutes or until bubbly around the edges.

Serve over hot rice and peas, topped with a generous amount of chopped cilantro.

1 comment:

caron said...

garam masala is a combo of spices, none of which are curry. they differ in their very essence. check this recipe out that i bookmarked some time back.

http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/diy-recipe/diy-recipe-garam-masala-013809