Share with others

17 February 2009

Teaser Tuesday

From ShouldBeReading-
TEASER TUESDAYS asks you to:
Grab your current read.
Let the book fall open to a random page.
Share with us two (2) “teaser” sentences from that page, somewhere between lines 7 and 12.
You also need to share the title of the book that you’re getting your “teaser” from … that way people can have some great book recommendations if they like the teaser you’ve given!
Please avoid spoilers!

I have, hmmm?, four? books going right now?
I'm going to share "teasers" from the two that will take the longest to complete.


In the evenings after dinner as a read-aloud with my family, we are reading Swallows and Amazons by Arthur Ransome. It was a gift from a friend- and we are loving it. It is a great read-aloud for a family! A tease...

"Roger and I pulled her right up," said Titty. "She couldn't have drifted off."
"Spread out again," said Captain John. "Then listen. Advance as soon as the mate blows her whistle. A hoot like an owl means all right. Three hoots means something's up. Blow as soon as you're ready, Mister Mate." p. 111



Slowlyslowlyslowly, I am reading War and Peace, yes, THAT War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy, with a friend. We decided to conquer something big this year. W&P is big, 1273 pages of bigness. I'm barely started- we are to finish Volume One, Part One on March 1. But I'm excited to be doing it. Slowly. A tease...

"Prince Andrei held her hand, looked into her eyes, and did not find the former love for her in his soul. Something suddenly turned over in his soul; the former poetic and mysterious delight of desire was not there, but there was pity for her woman's and child's weakness, there was fear before her devotion and trust, a heavy but at the same time joyful consciousness of duty that bound him to her forever..." p. 479

What are you reading?


6 comments:

jlshall said...

Reading aloud as a family sounds like such a wonderful idea! More people should do that. Great teasers!

Beth F said...

OMG!!! Swallows and Amazons and the the whole series = pretty much one of all-time favorites from childhood and forever. Hardly anyone reads them or knows of them anymore!!!

Ooops. I guess I should actually read the rest of your post before commenting, but I was soooo excited.

sperlonga said...

Sounds like those Amazons are at it again!
And see. S&W are favorites of others, too! That makes me happy.

Wendi said...

Hmm - Swallows and Amazons sounds like quite the adventure! I loved reading as a family when I was little - the ultimate in quality time! Well - that and playing games as a family. :)

Here's my Teaser! ~ Wendi

Michelle said...

I've always wanted to be a person who would read War and Peace. :)

The Bumbles said...

I commend you on your War & Peace effort. I read Anna Karenina last month and enjoyed it. I am afraid War & Peace will have to wait - only so much Tolstoy I can handle. I found out that his work (or at least Anna Karenina - I assume the others would have been as well) was published serially - in installments - in the paper/magazines of the day. So people would get sections at a time and have to wait so I think reading his work now in that same way would be neat. I wish they would tell you somewhere which parts were released in which chunks.