Share with others

26 February 2009

Writer's Workshop- A to Z poetry

MamaKat at Mama's Losin' It has issued her weekly writing assignment prompts.

My choice this week?
Write a 26-line poem using all the letters of the alphabet, where the first line starts with the letter "A," the second "B," the third "C," etc., culminating with the final line starting with "Z."

I do love A to Z lists. For several years, I have been writing our Christmas letter in A to Z format. Poetry? That's a new challenge.

On a Thursday Morning.

Awake later than I would like,
Beginning the day with the Word and
Coffee

Daybreak dawns,
Evening seems
Far away.

Girls wander to my bedroom,
Hoping to watch the weather report,
Indignant that rain clouds the forecast.

Jump into the shower,
Keeping an eye on the clock,
Lingering not allowed today.

Make haste to pick up a lady
Needing a ride to the hospital for
Outpatient surgery today.

Parenting a toddler,
Quickly chasing,
Running down the halls.

Stop to pick up daughter,
Time for basketball practice,
Umbrella might be necessary.

Van returns home.
Welcomed with rice for lunch,
eXceedingly capable daughter serves.

Yearning to glorify Him,
Zealous for what is next.

4 comments:

Meg said...

Wow! That was neat. When I saw the assignment I was stumped.

MyLinda said...

Great poem!! I did one too, kinda brought me back to my high school days when I did this with boyfriends names, etc.!!

MommyDesiree said...

love love love this! Way to go! What a better way is there then to start your day in the Word with a good cup of coffee? None if you ask me!

TFS!

Anonymous said...

That was really cool! I tried that prompt and couldn't do it. Yours is awesome.